Thursday, August 6, 2015

An Ode to Me

I think I appreciate spreading myself across my bed more than someone’s palms pressed against my skin.
I enjoy the crisp wind creeping through my window, stroking my back more than someone’s existence lying next to mine.
I’d rather be awoken each morning to a cup of coffee made perfectly by myself then pretending the muck you made is amazing and pouring it out as you turn your back.
Because I don’t know love in the way most people do, because I don’t feel enough long enough to truly be excited when I see someone gazing upon my profile through my peripheral vision.
I don’t want the smell of you to linger in my bed when you are gone, just a pressing reminder in the back of my head that I could not love you for more than one night.
I don’t want to find pieces of you left behind the next day, when I have things to do, rooms to clean, no time to be thinking of you wondering why I’m only capable of being alone.
You’ll never love me the way I do
You’ll never look into my eyes and become hypnotized by a green so deep, it cannot be replicated by nature
Because there is nothing to compare me to.
I am too vulgar, too blunt, too real to be a flower
I am hotter and more fiery than fire itself
I am nothing like the sun, you can’t take your eyes off me because I am dark, I am new, I am different, I am unthinkable
I am a disaster, so perfectly put together, my pieces don’t fit, but someone took a hammer and smashed me until I became whole
There’s no pulling me apart, I do not fall apart, I do not break, you can not fit inside, there is no more room inside of me for anyone or anything
I am me.
I wake up next to myself, more happy than when I went to sleep
Because in the middle of the night, I did not sneak out and leave myself alone
Because I am so much more than a one night stand
I am something real
Something so strange that even mirrors can’t bear to see me leave but they love to watch my hips swing as I strut away, carrying myself with an unnecessary confidence through my everyday life
Because I told myself I am beautiful, I am sexy, I am powerful, I am a woman, each day until
I became something so surreal, that I am unbelievable.
I did not need a man to caress my back and hold my hand, I held myself each night
Until one day, I did not need anyone but me.
I am tired of writing poetry and wasting beautiful verses on people who do not deserve a piece of this ass
I deserve a piece of this ass and some words to read with my morning oatmeal.
Because damn.

I love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment